The summer was filled with beach days, margaritas, and plenty of barbecues, and without ado we head into the season of cookies, cupcakes, pumpkins and parties. This is a time when our bodies can get run down and susceptible to sickness, so I like to take a little break to strengthen my system and get it ready for the highs of the holidays. Here’s a few ways to enhance your immune system, detox any impurities, and get your skin glowing for all the festivities ahead.
Three-Day Light Cleanse
Taking some time to get back in touch with yourself and become more aware of everything you do is essential for optimal functioning of your mind and body. These days include meditation to increase mindfulness and mental health, juices and smoothies to relieve your digestive system, and raw foods to provide you with optimal nutrient absorption.
- Wake up 20-30 minutes earlier than usual
- Meditate* and read something inspiring for 15 minutes
- Drink hot water with organic lemon juice to hydrate your system, activate your metabolism, and refresh your skin.
- Drink a fresh pressed juice or smoothie for breakfast. This will provide you with lots of nutrients to start the day and is very gentle on your digestive system, leaving you with lots of energy.
- Swap out coffee for green tea – this will give your adrenals a break, which is important to do as they’re essential to the healthy functioning of everything in your body.
Meals and Snacks:
- Make sure everything you eat is whole, organic and mostly raw
- Snack on nuts, fruits, and veggies
- Drink lots of water and tea, and nothing else
- Have your biggest meal of the day for lunch, like a raw kale and walnut salad. For dinner, try grounding but light meals, like homemade soup or a baked sweet potato with veggies.
- Certain foods like ginger, turmeric, peppermint and basil are particularly cleansing, so try and incorporate them into your meals to enhance the value of your efforts.
- Don’t eat after 7:00. If you feel hungry, try drinking water or tea, and do something to distract yourself like taking a walk or organizing a space in your home.
To enhance cleanse:
- Do not eat any meat, and if possible any animal products at all. This will enable your body to detoxify much more easily.
- Eliminate all processed foods, including refined sugars and flours
- Slow down while you eat. Be sure to chew thoroughly and to taste the food until the last bite.
- Drink dandelion root tea before bed to aid in cleansing your liver
- Do detoxifying yoga practices, ones that involve lots of twists and long, deep poses. Even if you can only do them for 15 or 20 minutes, it’s worth it.
This will help energize your system and strengthen it for the months to come as the weather turns colder, the days grow shorter, and you spend loving and restorative time with friends and family.
*A lot of people tell me that they can’t meditate. No one can do anything until they try it, so for those of us who feel that meditation is outside of our realm, we just have to start. No meditation effort goes in vain, so even if you feel like your thoughts are all over the place and you only get one moment of silence, you’re still benefitting from the practice. A mantra is exceptionally helpful when it comes to focusing, so find something you like the sound of and go with it. You can always look things up online, or make up your own. Meditate for 15 minutes, breathing deeply and focusing on the point between your eyebrows.
Write Your Comment
Leave a comment