Macrobiotics is not a diet or a theory but a philosophy, a way of living in harmony with your environment to live a physically and emotionally balanced life. Macrobiotics is a powerful tool in combatting diseases, but by using and being aware of the principles on a daily basis, we can harness the benefits without having to go to extremes.
Macrobiotics encourages eating foods that provide the body with essential nutrients that enable it to function at the optimum, and that don’t create a buildup of toxins. The goal of macrobiotics is to live a long, healthy and full life.
Benefits of a macrobiotic diet:
- Provides clarity of thought and mental stability
- Improves the body’s ability to heal itself
- Eliminates accumulated toxins and excesses
- Contributes to better sleep
- Reduces cravings and stabilizes blood sugar
The basic principles emphasize:
- Whole grains, veggies & beans as the core of the diet
- Natural, organic, local and seasonal foods
- Fermented foods like kimchi and sauerkraut
- Minimize processed food & animal products to reduce chaos in the mind
- Avoidance of extremes according to yin and yang
- Chew your food thoroughly, eat slowly
- Recognize your bio-individuality and personal needs
By living in balance with the changes of nature byway of what we eat, we prepare ourselves to move in fluidity with the natural order of life, and to ultimately evolve into our own perfect nature.
Photo by Jonas Nilsson Lee